Wednesday, July 1, 2009

FDC

FDC was introduced to me as 'Fresh Decoction Coffee' by my MIL. I remember how my dad and mom went on a religious 'trial and error' method to choose the best coffee powder available in the neighbourhood when we moved from Trichy to Chennai. Now married and settled in mumbai, I feel blessed to get the coffee, that tastes just as good as the one that I used to drink at Chennai, at my in laws place too.

The typical ratio of chicori to coffee powder we use is 1:10 and we allow about 3/4 of a cup (am referring to a standard stainless steel tumbler used in indian homes) of boiled water to trickle down through 3 teaspoonful of this coffee blend. FDC is prepared by adding the first extract of the coffee blend with fresh boiled milk at a proportion that would give the final coffee a pleasing light brown colour that any coffee lover would know.

Now the tricky part is to collect the decoction real quick. I was very impressed by my MIL's tip on this - she places a fork into the powder in the filter to hasten the dripping of the extract - a very handy tip that helps you prepare a nice strong coffee for your guests in just 5 minutes.

With the rains on and the whiff of hot bhajia from the canteen greeting me, here i leave from work with a pack of onion bhajia my family would love having with their cup of evening coffee at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment